The effect of Phoma root rot on yield in lentil and faba bean is to be measured in a series of field trials which are inoculated with varying rates of the pathogen. Trials are subjected to various levels of soil water via supplementary irrigation to investigate the role of soil water in the root rot disease. A range of chemical options are tested for disease control.
Nov 22, 2023 | Current Projects
The focus for this project will be to produce a highly engaging and easy-to-read publication resource titled 101 questions about SA cropping soils you were never game to ask. This will help farmers identify and understand subsoil constraints, soil water dynamics and in turn make informed decisions to help them manage emerging soil related issues unique to SA cropping environments.
Nov 9, 2023 | Current Projects
Super high oleic oil content safflower is a new crop to SA. This project will investigate variety, sowing time, water use efficiency, herbicide tolerance, nutrient responsiveness, phenology, residual soil water and canopy manipulation to determine where the crop can be profitably grown.
- Developing a DGT methodology to assess bioavailability of herbicide residues (USA121)
- Pesticide effects on soil microbial functions in contrasting SA soils (USA3323)
- Canola profitability as a break crop in the Upper North (UNF2822)
- Enhancing grain production and quality traits for bread wheat (UA420)
- Revegetation for enhanced biocontrol of pest conical snails (UAD2522)