South Australian crops can be severely impacted by poor and variable growing conditions, which includes low-fertility soils. Crop plants possess strong instincts to reduce grain number due to variable growing conditions or reduced fertiliser. This is a major contributor to the yield gap in SA. This project seeks to help close this yield gap through the import and testing of new genetic material that makes barley less responsive to environmental conditions.
Nov 23, 2023 | Current Projects
This project will be undertaken by SARDI researchers and aims to provide information to growers when considering a pulse protein market in key pulse expansion areas. This will be achieved by evaluating current genetic variation for protein content and seed quality, evaluating the crop choices for different environments, and by conducting an economic analysis.
- 2024 Farm Gross Margin Guide
- SAGIT invites applications for 2024 funding round
- Developing a DGT methodology to assess bioavailability of herbicide residues (USA121)
- Pesticide effects on soil microbial functions in contrasting SA soils (USA3323)
- Canola profitability as a break crop in the Upper North (UNF2822)